Caring for Copper Jewelry
Caring for copper jewelry is pretty easy to do, whether you want to keep it bright and shiny or dark and antiqued. The best way to clean copper jewelry is to use an acidic cleaner. If you are like White Bear Jewelry and are concerned for the environment we suggest using a natural acid cleaner such as lemon juice. Below are two different methods of cleaning with lemon juice. So here is how to care for your copper jewelry.
Lemon Juice Bath
*Do NOT use this method if the piece you are cleaning has soft gems or pearls
1. Place your copper jewelry into a glass or ceramic container.
2. Pour lemon juice over the jewelry.
3. Allow the piece to soak for 10 to 20 minutes occasionally moving the piece so that all of it is exposed to the lemon juice equally.
4. Use an old tooth brush dipped into lemon juice and gently scrub the crevices until you reach the desired shininess.
5. Rinse with cold water and dry with a soft cloth.
Lemon Juice and Salt Paste
*This method can be safely used on soft gems and pearls. It is also faster!
1. Dip an old tooth brush into lemon juice and then into salt.
2. Gently rub the paste onto the jewelry making sure to avoid any gemstones.
3. Scrub softly.
4. Rinse with cold water and dry with a soft cloth.
Is your jewelry turning your skin green? This can be caused by a few issues. The first is that you body has become more acidic and the copper id dissolving faster than your body can absorb it. This can happen when we sweat, are under stress or when we eat too much junk food. It can also happen when our bodies are deficient in copper and our bodies are trying to obtain the element faster than the body can absorb it. When your body chemistry is balanced copper will fail to turn your skin green. Finally, your copper could be dirty. Simply clean it with the instructions above.
A copper cleaner such as Penny Brite or a copper sealer such as Everbrite can help to prevent this from happening. Cleaners and sealers will making caring for copper jewelry easier. However, coated copper does not have the same health benefits as bare copper.
Caring for copper is relatively simple and can be done using simple household ingredients found in your fridge and pantry. This makes wearing this economical and beneficial material that much better. Wear copper and enjoy!